Travelling sounds a whole lot of fun when it’s well organized, also traveling has a lot of added advantages, which can teach you to become a much better person overall. So, can traveling help you with depression?
Depression is more than just a low or bad mood; it’s a serious condition that affects your physical and mental health and COVID-19 has likely tripled depression rate: According to the World Health Organization (WHO), depression is affecting more than 300 million people all over the world. Travelling might not be the cure for depression, but it definitely is one of the most effective ways to help you in your fight against this condition. Let’s discuss some reasons why:
- Enjoying a Different Environment: a change of scenery can do many wonders to your well-being, specially if you get in touch with nature!
2. Traveling helps you see the big picture: Our lives are made up of a collection of memories, sometimes depression causes us to focus only on the negative ones, but stepping out of our comfort zone would allow us to see different perspectives of life.
3. Opens up Interaction Opportunities: interacting with strangers or another travelers makes life easier, meeting people from different backgrounds who in one way or the other influence how you reason, can refresh the way you see life.
4. Traveling strengthen problem solving: Depression can be cultivated in many different ways and one of the most noticeable characteristics of this, is focusing on the problem instead of solving it.
Traveling opens you up to situations and moments that require you to pay attention to what’s happening around you. Your brain is made to think in different ways and solve problems that you wouldn’t necessarily face in everyday life.
5. Planning your itinerary keeps the mind focused: Planning your trip arrangements may not sound very fun. However, when you realize that whatever you are planning is something that would give you some freedom, your brain will get into an active mode and start thinking straight, to get on board with this new adventure.
*Remember to check the travel restrictions of the places you are planning to visit, also trying to stay in your local area is recommended. You can check this link if you want some tips on how to be a tourist in your hometown.